Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Green.

So much to talk about tonight...

First, let me start with a story about the class I attended last night with my friend, Anne.

I went to a class about Green Cleaners and Herbal Soaps. A woman I know from Garden Club taught the class. Ginny is a very special gal... she is an avid and excellent gardener, and also has some Martha Stewart in her- she is really a neat lady. Green cleaners are essentially homemade cleaning agents that don't use chemicals. Good for the Earth, good for your home, good for you. Think baking soda, vinegar, orange oil, etc... it was very interesting. She provided many recipes for cleaners and we even made 4 different types as samples to take home. Lovely... I am SO excited to clean my house with these sample and I'm even more excited to make batches of it. The kids can even help make the cleaners since there isn't anything toxic in them! I'm so excited!

One of the cleaners we made is called Earth Scrub.

Here is the recipe:
1 2/3 c baking soda
1/2 c liquid soap (we used Dr. Bronner's - pure castille soap - peppermint)
1/2 c water (distilled is best)
2 tbsp vinegar
10-15 drops essential oil (I think we used peppermint)

Mix baking soda with liquid soap in bowl. Dilute with 1/2 c water. Add vinegar last and stir until the lumps are gone. This is an excellent substitute for Soft Scrub as a sink, tub, tile, floor, and garbage can, you name it cleaner. This needs to be put in a flip top squeeze bottle that won't clog.

I got home from the class last night and cleaned my kitchen sink with the Earth Scrub.... loved it... smelled soooo good!!!

The book that Ginny sited is called, "Clean House, Clean Planet" by Karen Logan.

Now, I'm not going to go off the deep end, but I truly believe that being "green" is so important. I am trying in small ways to make a difference. I started composting this year and feel so good about it everytime I dump more kitchen waste on the pile. I know that there is so much waste that goes on in our family, your family... every family... so I figure I can help in small ways now. I'm learning and I know it's a process, but I am happy to contribute to a better earth in whatever ways I can.

We also learned how to make herbal soaps, which is more complicated than making cleaners! Lye is used and Ginny instructed me NOT to make soap until the kids are older!!! So, I'll continue to enjoy what she makes for the time being! She gave us each two bars of her wonderful soap... I chose a ginger peach bar and a mountain mint. The kids went nuts in their bath tonight with the soap... loved it! Ginny told us that glycerin is a natural by-product of the chemical reaction that occurs when soap is made and that the commercial makers of soap extract the glycerin to sell it to lotion companies.... So... ever wonder why your soap drys your skin out (esp in winter)???? Interesting.

Whew... sick of hearing me talk, yet???

I get to visit an old client tomorrow for photos of 6 mo old baby B. I am excited... I haven't seen a little one for awhile.... I'm sure I'll have an image or two to post tomorrow.

My cousin Anna comes to town on Friday for her Senior pics!!! This will be a lot of fun! I can't wait to see what we come up with for her. I hope the weather cooperates and we get some opportunities for nice lighting, etc.

Put on my old 50mm lens and took some shots of Ruby. Isn't she pretty????


No comments: